Sunday, August 16, 2009

The other day I was sitting with the kids watching television, some child friendly show apparently, where the teenagers all run around with problems that they end up dealing with by themselves in the space of 1/2 hour. The kids were mesmorised but I started thinking if this was what i wanted for my kids to learn.

These shows never have the adult in the place of responsibility. They are absent and void and the kids have to work out their problems for themselves. By allowing my kids to watch these shows am I saying that if you have a problem the last person you should be speaking to is me. I always thought that if they had a problem then they would seek me out. They would be able to talk to me, they would see me as a way of solving the issues that they were having. This got me thinking are the adults and parents of the world becoming invalid in the lives of their children?

My son has started to do this. He comes home with a problem, we walk the dogs and hash out solutions. Not that any of the solutions I offer up are really go ing to work but at least he is talking to me about what is going on in his life. I am hoping that this sets up a life long situation where he will always come to me, that he will always see me as a way of being able to solve his solutions. That he wont take the way out that these kids take and not involve the one or two people in their lives that would be able to offer solutions of some description.

No comments:

Post a Comment